Graduation 2013

June 20, 2013
By

From left: Michael Magee, Garrett Reeder, Adam Poelma, Taylor Phillips, Anais DeJesus and Rachel Snell.

Mississippi Gulf Coast Community College held the annual Commencement Ceremony on May 9 at the Mississippi Gulf Coast Coliseum, with almost 900 students participating and 1,939 degrees conferred.  Ed Day, former president and CEO of Mississippi Power, gave the commencement address.

John and Kasi McDaniel, husband and wife from Ocean Springs, were thrilled about participating in the commencement ceremony together.  “We are excited about starting the next phase of our lives,” said Kasi, an Associate Degree Nursing graduate.  “We really are grateful to be here and are appreciative of everyone who has helped us, including all the people at MGCCC.”

John, a Telecommunications Technology graduate, added,  “Completing a program at a community college has given me the chance at a better job and a better life for my family.  We are stepping out of the coliseum today successful, and we plan to continue on that path.”

Andrea Weaver, of Biloxi, said she is thrilled about taking the next step in her life. “I didn’t originally plan on going to school, and now I’m working toward a bachelor’s degree in civil and environmental engineering.  I am so excited to be here and to have this opportunity to have successfully completed my associate degree.  I really didn’t think I’d get this far in my education.  I really didn’t think I could.”

Monty Harris, of Perkinston, said she plans to continue her education and major in Nutrition and Dietetics. “Community college was a wonderful experience and has given me the confidence, the academic reinforcement and general support I needed to be successful at the university.  I feel completely prepared for whatever the rest of my college experience throws at me.”

Elizabeth Broderick, of Lucedale, was a Cosmetology student at the George County Center and decided to receive her associate degree as well because it offered her more opportunities.  “The program is just wonderful, and all the instructors at the center were great.  I have truly enjoyed my time at MGCCC and look forward to what lies ahead.”

MGCCC held two other commencement ceremonies at the Mississippi Coast Coliseum in conjunction with graduation. The college-wide Pinning Ceremony for Nursing and Radiologic Technology programs was held on May 9, with 64 graduates. Kathy Springer, assistant administrator at Biloxi Regional Medical Center, gave the address.

The GED Commencement Ceremony was held on May 8, with more than 200 students participating. Amy Tuck, former lieutenant governor of Mississippi and current vice president of Campus Services at Mississippi State University, was the speaker.